We read...

To know we are not alone. ~C.S. Lewis~

Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday Firsts is now monthly…on the First Friday of course!

Friday Firsts* Copy/paste the question and button.
* leave a comment and link to your post.
* Join in with the intermittent puzzle, (look for the answer the following FF). First correct answer = 1 pt.    A prize will go out on FF 1st anniversary ! (track your progress on my sidebar)…

When was the first time you thought ‘I can do that’ and put pen to paper for your first work of fiction? Care to share yours I’d love to read some new stories.

When I first read Tolkien I was so taken by the other-worldliness of Middle Earth I thought I’d like to create my own world. I had great ideas for the most wonderful leading man (based way too closely  on Strider) and a grand quest theme. It did not take long to work out that Tolkien possessed a genius that few people have and that the great novel just was not in me (I was about 13/14).

It took another 35 years for me to actually have the skills to write and the knowledge that I am not a writer. I’ve heard enough authors talk to know that their inner life needs expression, they have a compulsion to write. I understand it because I get antsy when I’ve been deprived of creative time. I think I need to make jewellery and beads and cards in the same way as a writer needs to write.

That’s not to say I didn’t absolutely love my creative writing classes and the process of writing, I did. But I know that anyone who can say ‘one day’ about putting those stories I’ve got floating around in my head down on paper is not an author. What about you have you managed to take the step from reader to writer?

Puzzel: On a cold day in April what time were the clocks striking

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The Loving Spirit by
Daphne du Maurier

who also wrote the novel "Rebecca" whose first line is "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again"

Nise' said...

Mrs. de Winter (the second) dreamt she went to Manderley again. We never know her first name. (Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier)

My favorite famous first is here.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add a famous first line to my post!

It's added now!