We read...

To know we are not alone. ~C.S. Lewis~

Thursday, October 22, 2009

BTT is a long running bookish meme. To join in pop over and read the 100's of interesting comments.

this week the question is: If you could ask your favorite author (alive or dead) one question … who would you ask, and what would the question be?

This is a no brainer for me, I'd be asking Edith Wharton 'what were you thinking!'

****************The Age of Innocence Spoiler alert***********************

why doesn't Newland go up to see Ellen at the end of The Age of Innocence?

We wade through all that drama, their lives intersecting, the will I/won't I, all the sexual tension and THEN he finally has his chance with her and he doesn't even go up to her! really!!!

I've read this book twice and the ending many times. I've had a go at wrting an ending I could live with myself (it was a task set in a creative writng class at uni) and I admit that I couldn't do it and maintain the character's integrity but, hey I'm NOT Edith Wharton! I'm absolutely convinced she could have pulled off a meeting and happy-ever-after for Ellen and Newland.

So that's what I 'd be asking her.

No comments: