We read...

To know we are not alone. ~C.S. Lewis~

Friday, May 15, 2009

Book Lust

btt button

BTT is a long running bookish meme. To join in pop over and read the 100's of interesting comments. Mariel suggested this week’s question:

Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?

Actually I call it book lust. Being in bookshops. libraries – to be surrounded by all those words crafted into sometimes gorgeous binding, is my idea of bliss. Even a Science and Engineering collection where I’m not actually interested in what’s on the inside I love just being with them. Some people find stacks creepy not me, book-lust trumps claustrophobia. My dream would be to have my own library and I know this is a dream I share with many other book-lusters.

We covet, we desire walls and walls of them, their rippling spines form myriad rainbows, their paper perfuming the air. I buy too many, way more than I will ever be able to read & there’s no way I could wait to read all I have before I bought more. It’s an addiction secreted under a thin veil of respectability and only controlled by means (or lack thereof).

4 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

You got it so right! Don't we all relate to it?!

Book gluttons, are we?

Anonymous said...

I believe every book has its moment with an individual reader, and that is why I have to keep buying them in case I have a whim for that particular book.

Proud to be a glutton, but I try not to buy. I grab the ones that I'm most desperate to read and leave the rest on a list.

Nise' said...

Yes, I totally understand!

Anonymous said...

but, if you didn't buy all those books, you might run out some day!